The heart of every mother aspires to help their child be successful in anything they do and in any pursuit they embark on. If you’re a mother of a child who is passionate about performance art, you may be wondering how to best help them build their portfolio. Luckily, there are many great platforms available today, such as TikTok, that can help your child showcase their talent. TikTok is a ground-breaking short-form video platform fuelled and sustained by the positive creative expression of its users.
However, you may be wondering if TikTok is the right platform for them. At MindChamps Académie of Stars, our team believes in using creativity in our classes to nurture the talent inside of those who love performing arts and acting. Keep reading to learn more about how to use TikTok to build your child’s portfolio and highlight their talents.
1. Create An Account
The first step to curate your child’s performance art portfolio is to create an account on TikTok. Follow these steps to setup your account:
- Download the TikTok app from the App or Google Play store
- Launch the app by clicking on it
- Press the profile button at the bottom right
- Select your preferred method for signing up
Once you are done setting up an account, it’s time for the cameras to start rolling. These are some simple instructions on how to record a TikTok:
- On the app, tap the ‘+’ icon at the bottom.
- Next, press and hold the red button to capture your child’s performance. Alternatively, you could press the add sound and effects buttons before filming.
- Click on the sound, filters, effects and text icons to add them in.
- Select the checkmark on the right side when your video is complete.
- Tap Next, prepare a caption and the video details.
- Post it to your account or save it to your Drafts to post later.
With these tips, you are all set to shout, “Lights, Cameras, Action!” Start filming your child and use your account as their personal performance art portfolio to showcase his or her talent to the world.
2. Identify Your Child’s Interest And Strengths
But before you start, the next question you might have is, what do I film? The undoubted, wide spread appeal of TikTok can be attributed to how almost all types of content are welcome on TikTok. Whether your child’s talent lies in acting, singing, dancing, reenacting famous movie scenes and much more, the possibilities for honing and demonstrating your child’s skills are limitless.
More ideas for TikTok content for your child include:
- Film short stories of them acting out typical characters seen in media eg stern teacher, playful student to hone their ability to sketch characters and bring them to life. An added benefit is giving them more exposure to different characters.
- Recreate snippets of them acting as their favourite characters from their beloved movies and shows
- Let your child tell jokes or recreate a funny scene from a show or movie
The options are endless! As parents that know your child’s strengths or interests the best, tap on these areas to create videos and craft an impressive performance art portfolio for them.
3. Tap On The Trends
The home to trends that take over the Internet, TikTok has several trends that you can take inspiration from to film content that highlights your child’s performance art aptitude.
Song imitations are trending videos on TikTok, where people lip-sync to different songs and even act out the lyrics. Typically, they either reenact a scene from the music video or add their own take on the song. Along the same lines, dialogue reenactments are lip-syncing videos where users reenact the dialogue to well-known movies or random conversations in a humorous fashion. Both iterations are not just fun, creative ways to develop your child’s grasp of the importance of timing and expression in performances, but are also a relevant way to showcase your child’s acting skills. #ActingChallenges on TikTok are different trendy challenges that focus specifically on acting that are a great way to stretch your child’s range of emotions in acting and demonstrate their acting repertoire.
4. Go Live
Lastly, TikTok also offers the ability to stream live videos to your audience. Incorporate live videos into your child’s performance art portfolio shows their capacity to connect with audiences in real-time. Beyond that, it hones their skills by getting them to be used to being in front of a live audience, challenging them to think on their feet when things don’t turn out according to their plan and even planning out a script for their performance.
Take Your Child To The Next Level With Performing Arts And Acting Classes In Singapore
TikTok is indeed a great way to develop your child’s ability to express themselves to an audience and their performance art portfolio. But to sharpen and hone their skills effectively, it is best to send them for professional performing arts and acting classes such as MindChamps Académie of Stars’ STARS Performance Training, where they can receive specialised training from coaches in singing, acting and dancing.
With the upcoming December holidays, sending your children for performing arts holiday programmes such as the Muddled Chameleon Speech & Drama Workshop, the Jingle Bell Rock Camp Sing & Dance Workshop and the A Not So Frozen Christmas Musical Theatre Workshop is the perfect school holiday activity to nurture their talent further. Contact our team for more details and if you have any questions.